`Google will pay more if British tax laws are changed`
London: Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt has said the company will pay more tax if the British tax laws are changed, and added that it does not treat paying taxes as optional but mandatory.
Google has been criticized for allegedly evading taxes revealing payments of 3.4 million pounds in tax on 3.2billion pounds of sales to customers in Britain last year, with sales technically accounting for under the low-tax regime of Ireland.
According to Tan English newspaper, Schmidt continued to defend the company`s tax payments and said that he was perplexed with the debates surrounding the issues as the company has been paying taxing as per law.
He said if the British government wants to have more taxes, it should change its law. Adding that the company had a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders, which prevented it from paying more taxes abroad.
Schmidt suggested that it is the political decision of the government to settle on tax limits. If the taxes go up, the company will pay more, if they are low the company will pay less.
The executive chairman added that under American Law Google has fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to properly account for things.
If the company randomly decides to pay taxes differently it would be held accountable by its shareholders in other countries, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video