New Technologies pose challenge to investigating agencies
Thiruvananthapuram: Investigation agencies probing cyber crimes in the country face major challenges with emergence of new technologies like cloud computing, mobile applications and wireless technology, to which terror outfits have access, a top NIA official said here today.
Loknath Behra, Inspector General, National Investigation Agency, said use of advanced technology by such terror and radical groups, most of whom have cyber experts,has made it difficult for investigating agencies to trace locations of the masterminds.
He said collection of evidence has become difficult as most internet servers are located outside the country. "Of the 13 internet servers, nine are located in US," he pointed out.
He was speaking to reporters here on the sidelines of the `COCON 2012`, the International Cyber Security and Policing Conference, organised by Kerala police.
Behra said outfits like Indian Mujahuddin used to send e-mails before each attack. "But till date the origin of a single mail has not been traced correctly. That means they are good in technology," he said.
However, he said NIA has not come across any cloud computing used by terror groups so far.
Behra said proliferation of social networking sites, mobile applications and voice over internet protocol also posed challenges. IP spoofing, phishing, pharming have also become more advanced.
"The internet and IT are having great impact on our lives and lifestyles. At the same time they pose challenges which are mostly legal and social," Behra said.
Most of the cases now being investigated by NIA are from Kerala, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday