One in four teens use cellphones to browse web
Washington: Internet goes mobile! Instead of using desktops or laptops, most teens now rely on their phones to go online, a new US study has found.
One in four teens use cell phones as their device of choice when browsing the web, according to the study by Pew Research Center`s Internet and American Life Project.
The survey of teens aged between 12 and 17 also found that 78 per cent have a cellphone, with nearly half of those being smartphones.
As compared to one in four young adults who are "cell-mostly" users, only 15 per cent of adults rely solely on their phones, `Mashable` reported.
Researchers found that although teens are just as likely to have a cellphone as they are to have access to a desktop, their home computers are often shared with family members, resulting in privacy issues and limited time online.
It is much more convenient for teens to check social networks or search for videos via mobile since they sleep with their phones on or near their bed, said Mary Madden, senior researcher of the project.
"Unlike many adults, teens aren?t sitting in front of a desktop or computer all day at work, so the different rhythms of daily life may be a factor influencing the different patterns of use," Madden said.
Researchers also found that older teenage girls are more likely to be "cell-mostly" users (34 per cent), and 74 per cent of all teens say they occasionally access the Internet on phones, tablets and other mobile devices.
"In many ways, teens represent the leading edge of mobile connectivity, and the patterns of their technology use often signal future changes in the adult population," Madden said.
The study findings hold true across the economic status. Out of those who have Internet access, teenagers in lower socio-economic groups are just as likely - and sometimes even more likely - to use cellphones as primary access points for using Internet than teens in higher-earning households.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video