Wikipedia demands PR firm to stop paid editing services
Washington: Wikipedia has sent a cease-and-desist letter to a company called "Wiki-PR," which reportedly sells paid editing services on the well-known online encyclopedia, seeking to stop the service.
On Tuesday, Wkipedia issued the letter to Wiki-PR, demanding that the company immediately halt editing Wikipedia "unless and until it has fully complied with the terms and conditions outlined by the Wikimedia Community.
According to CNET, Wikimedia Foundation, which runs the online encyclopedia, announced last month that it had blocked or banned more than 250 editing accounts as part of an investigation into `suspicious edits and sockpuppetry` that promoted organizations or products.
The action followed reports of a rise in paid edits linked to Wiki-PR, which bills itself as `Wikipedia writers for hire`.
Claiming that the activity has continued, the Wikimedia Foundation sent the letter asking the company to cease and desist from further editing the Wikipedia Web site.
The three-page letter sent to Wiki-PR CEO Jordan French indicates that Wikimedia resorted to the action after ongoing discussions failed to resolve the issue to its satisfaction, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?