10 dead, seven missing in Mizoram thunder squall
Aizawl: Thunderstorm and landslides have claimed 10 lives, rendered seven missing and left 25 others injured in the state capital, police said on Saturday.
Nine houses in Laipuitland locality here were swept away in a massive landslide early this morning, killing eight persons, Superintendent of Police (Traffic) Lallianmawia, who was supervising the rescue work, said.
Eleven persons were missing and 9 others injured in the landslide, he said.
Rescue work was underway with volunteers and policemen searching the debris for bodies and survivors, he said.
Lallianmawia said that 10 bodies, including five of women, have been recovered while seven persons are suspected to be trapped under the debris and feared dead.
Thunderstorm accompanied by strong squall hit the Mizoram capital last night. At least 16 people across the city suffered minor injuries in the storm and were given first aid at the Civil Hospital here, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees