10 dead, seven missing in Mizoram thunder squall
Aizawl: Thunderstorm and landslides have claimed 10 lives, rendered seven missing and left 25 others injured in the state capital, police said on Saturday.
Nine houses in Laipuitland locality here were swept away in a massive landslide early this morning, killing eight persons, Superintendent of Police (Traffic) Lallianmawia, who was supervising the rescue work, said.
Eleven persons were missing and 9 others injured in the landslide, he said.
Rescue work was underway with volunteers and policemen searching the debris for bodies and survivors, he said.
Lallianmawia said that 10 bodies, including five of women, have been recovered while seven persons are suspected to be trapped under the debris and feared dead.
Thunderstorm accompanied by strong squall hit the Mizoram capital last night. At least 16 people across the city suffered minor injuries in the storm and were given first aid at the Civil Hospital here, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons