10 dead, seven missing in Mizoram thunder squall
Aizawl: Thunderstorm and landslides have claimed 10 lives, rendered seven missing and left 25 others injured in the state capital, police said on Saturday.
Nine houses in Laipuitland locality here were swept away in a massive landslide early this morning, killing eight persons, Superintendent of Police (Traffic) Lallianmawia, who was supervising the rescue work, said.
Eleven persons were missing and 9 others injured in the landslide, he said.
Rescue work was underway with volunteers and policemen searching the debris for bodies and survivors, he said.
Lallianmawia said that 10 bodies, including five of women, have been recovered while seven persons are suspected to be trapped under the debris and feared dead.
Thunderstorm accompanied by strong squall hit the Mizoram capital last night. At least 16 people across the city suffered minor injuries in the storm and were given first aid at the Civil Hospital here, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants