Antony gives nod for commissioning of paralysed cadet
New Delhi: In an unprecedented move, Defence Minister AK Antony has granted one-time special sanction to the IAF to grant commission to a flying cadet from Manipur paralysed below the waist due to injuries in an air crash.
The Defence Minister granted the one-time sanction to the IAF two days back on humanitarian grounds for giving commission to Flight Cadet R K Herojit Singh, defence sources said here.
The special plea was moved to the Defence Minister`s office by Air Chief Marshal N AK Browne for the retention in service and commissioning of the Flight Cadet, who met with a flying accident during his training at Hakimpet, IAF officials said.
After the sanction, Herojit will undergo a further six months of training in Accounts Branch at Air Force Academy, Dundigal, Hyderabad from January, 2013, they said.
The case is special because Flight Cadet Herojit did not meet the medical norms for commissioning due to an injury which occurred during his flying training, prior to his course completion and subsequent commission into the IAF, they said.
He sustained spinal cord injuries, which left him paralysed from the waist down (paraplegia). Herojit is currently hospitalised at Military Hospital Kirkee. While he moves with the help of a wheel chair, his intellectual and motor capabilities are fully intact, officials said.
A budding flying trainee, Herojit has a meritorious record with exceptional performance in all fields during service training of four years in NDA and Airforce Academy. He was also adjudged as `The Most Accomplished Flight Cadet`, they said.
Notwithstanding the incident, Herojit still wants to serve the armed forces. He hails from a large middle class family in Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP