Antony gives nod for commissioning of paralysed cadet
New Delhi: In an unprecedented move, Defence Minister AK Antony has granted one-time special sanction to the IAF to grant commission to a flying cadet from Manipur paralysed below the waist due to injuries in an air crash.
The Defence Minister granted the one-time sanction to the IAF two days back on humanitarian grounds for giving commission to Flight Cadet R K Herojit Singh, defence sources said here.
The special plea was moved to the Defence Minister`s office by Air Chief Marshal N AK Browne for the retention in service and commissioning of the Flight Cadet, who met with a flying accident during his training at Hakimpet, IAF officials said.
After the sanction, Herojit will undergo a further six months of training in Accounts Branch at Air Force Academy, Dundigal, Hyderabad from January, 2013, they said.
The case is special because Flight Cadet Herojit did not meet the medical norms for commissioning due to an injury which occurred during his flying training, prior to his course completion and subsequent commission into the IAF, they said.
He sustained spinal cord injuries, which left him paralysed from the waist down (paraplegia). Herojit is currently hospitalised at Military Hospital Kirkee. While he moves with the help of a wheel chair, his intellectual and motor capabilities are fully intact, officials said.
A budding flying trainee, Herojit has a meritorious record with exceptional performance in all fields during service training of four years in NDA and Airforce Academy. He was also adjudged as `The Most Accomplished Flight Cadet`, they said.
Notwithstanding the incident, Herojit still wants to serve the armed forces. He hails from a large middle class family in Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Radical changes! Two-division Tests and One-Day League on ICC agenda
- Pampore encounter: Mufti, Nirmal Singh attend wreath laying ceremony
- Vitara Brezza, Innova make it to top 10 best selling passenger vehicles in May
- Mohammad Anas shatters national record, qualifies for Rio Olympics men's 400m race
- Unstoppable Slam machine Novak Djokovic eyes fourth Wimbledon title