Arunachal to opt for tie up with Rubber Board
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh will opt for a tie-up with Rubber Board of India for undertaking rubber cultivation in the state on commercial basis with the aim to provide jobs for the unemployed youths.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki has evinced keen interest for the venture when Agro Gramin United (AGUN) chairman Likha Maj called on him yesterday and submitted a report on his recent tour to Kotayyam to study about rubber cultivation in the country`s rubber hub, official sources said.
The chief minister handed over the report to Chief Secretary H K Paliwal with a direction to take immediate steps as the state government has adopted a policy to promote rubber and tea cultivation for generating employment avenues and boosting rural economy.
He also invited Rubber Board Chairperson Sheela Thomas to the state along with a technical team on April 7. Rubber by-products like honey, which has greater medicinal and food value than the traditional honey, and timber of the old and discarded tree can be used for making the finest furniture, an official report said.
"Once the rubber cultivation is taken up methodically on a scientific basis involving the Rubber Board, Arunachal Pradesh would produce one lakh tons of rubber within a few years," the report said.
Tripura the second state after Kerala in rubber production. In that north east state the area under rubber cultivation has increased from just 3500 hectares in 1982 to a massive 57,620 hectares in 2012 and employs more than 50,000 farmers, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another