Arunachal to opt for tie up with Rubber Board
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh will opt for a tie-up with Rubber Board of India for undertaking rubber cultivation in the state on commercial basis with the aim to provide jobs for the unemployed youths.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki has evinced keen interest for the venture when Agro Gramin United (AGUN) chairman Likha Maj called on him yesterday and submitted a report on his recent tour to Kotayyam to study about rubber cultivation in the country`s rubber hub, official sources said.
The chief minister handed over the report to Chief Secretary H K Paliwal with a direction to take immediate steps as the state government has adopted a policy to promote rubber and tea cultivation for generating employment avenues and boosting rural economy.
He also invited Rubber Board Chairperson Sheela Thomas to the state along with a technical team on April 7. Rubber by-products like honey, which has greater medicinal and food value than the traditional honey, and timber of the old and discarded tree can be used for making the finest furniture, an official report said.
"Once the rubber cultivation is taken up methodically on a scientific basis involving the Rubber Board, Arunachal Pradesh would produce one lakh tons of rubber within a few years," the report said.
Tripura the second state after Kerala in rubber production. In that north east state the area under rubber cultivation has increased from just 3500 hectares in 1982 to a massive 57,620 hectares in 2012 and employs more than 50,000 farmers, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'