Bangladesh allows fencing on zero-line in Tripura
Agartala: The neighbouring Bangladesh has agreed to allow erection of barbed wire fencing on Zero-Line of Indo-Bangla international border in some patches of Tripura, official sources said here on Tuesday.
"Following India`s request, Bangladesh government has agreed to allow construction of fencing on Zero-Line in some parts of the state," Tripura Home Secretary Manoj Kumar said.
Fencing in 5 km in Sabroom sub-division of South Tripura district which was stopped for quite long time following objections from Bangladesh Border Guards (BBG) would be started soon, he told reporters.
While fencing on Zero-Line at Mohanpur in West Tripura district and Kailashahar in newly-formed Unakoti district has almost been completed, he said.
Works in Kamalasagar in Sipahijala district and Belonia in South Tripura district would be started with the agreement of Bangladesh government.
The BBG had objected to adhere to Indira-Mujib treaty according to which no permanent structure in any form within the 150 yards of the Zero-Line could be constructed.
However, the state government had identified that some areas where erection of fencing 150 yards away from Zero Line would not be feasible and approached the Centre to seek permission from Bangladesh and after hectic parlance Sheikh Hasina government accepted the request.
About 75 per cent of the 856-km Indo-Bangla has so far been completed and remaining part would be fenced by end of this year, BSF sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey