Bangladesh allows fencing on zero-line in Tripura
Agartala: The neighbouring Bangladesh has agreed to allow erection of barbed wire fencing on Zero-Line of Indo-Bangla international border in some patches of Tripura, official sources said here on Tuesday.
"Following India`s request, Bangladesh government has agreed to allow construction of fencing on Zero-Line in some parts of the state," Tripura Home Secretary Manoj Kumar said.
Fencing in 5 km in Sabroom sub-division of South Tripura district which was stopped for quite long time following objections from Bangladesh Border Guards (BBG) would be started soon, he told reporters.
While fencing on Zero-Line at Mohanpur in West Tripura district and Kailashahar in newly-formed Unakoti district has almost been completed, he said.
Works in Kamalasagar in Sipahijala district and Belonia in South Tripura district would be started with the agreement of Bangladesh government.
The BBG had objected to adhere to Indira-Mujib treaty according to which no permanent structure in any form within the 150 yards of the Zero-Line could be constructed.
However, the state government had identified that some areas where erection of fencing 150 yards away from Zero Line would not be feasible and approached the Centre to seek permission from Bangladesh and after hectic parlance Sheikh Hasina government accepted the request.
About 75 per cent of the 856-km Indo-Bangla has so far been completed and remaining part would be fenced by end of this year, BSF sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened