Congress announces candidate for Mizoram by-polls
Aizawl: The ruling Congress on Friday announced that Dr. H. Ngurdingliana would be the party`s official candidate for the coming by-election to the Chalfilh assembly seat scheduled to be held on February 23.
Ngurdingliana, son of veteran Congress leader and former state assembly Speaker Dr H. Thansanga had contested unsuccessfully in 2008 from the same constituency.
With the announcement of its candidate by the Congress, all the major political parties have announced their nominees for the coming by-poll.
The main opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) candidate was Lalvenhima Hmar, while the Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) nominated its president Lalhmangaiha Sailo, son of the former chief minister and founder president of the party Brig. T. Sailo.
The Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP) candidate was C. Lalchhandama, a retired government officer while the BJP state unit nominated C. Ramkinlova, who had unsuccessfully contested from the seat in 2008 assembly polls.
Meanwhile, the MNF nominee Lalvenhima Hmar and MPC candidate Lalhmangaiha Sailo on Friday filed their nominations for the Chalfilh by-polls and they were the first and only candidates to file nominations so far with the last date of filing nominations fixed on February six.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured