Congress to boycott entire session of Tripura Assembly
Agartala: The opposition Congress on Friday announced boycott of the entire session of the Tripura Assembly, alleging post-poll violence in the state.
After Governor DY Patil`s address, Speaker Ramendra Chandra Debnath adjourned the proceedings for fifteen minutes.
When the House reassembled, Opposition Congress member Sudip Roy Burman said that after the announcement of the election results on February 28, ruling party cadres had let loose a reign of terror by killing opposition Congress activists and supporters, setting ablaze their houses, molesting and even raping women in different parts of the state.
When the Speaker requested Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, also the Home Minister of the state, to give a statement, he said that during the period from February 14 to 28, some leaders` statements had instigated such incidents.
"I do not disagree that there was no such incident after the announcement of the results and I again appeal to all sections of the people to maintain peace and tranquillity and expect cooperation from all sides", Sarkar said.
"I have asked appropriate authorities to take proper legal actions against the perpetrators and I would like to warn that law would take its own course irrespective of political affiliations," Sarkar said.
The Chief Minister said, he has directed the District Magistrates to enquire into the complaints and proper compensation will be given in case of property damage.
However, Burman alleged that the administration remained a silent spectator and further said that despite remaining Chief Minister of the state for the past 16 years, Sarkar remained partisan.
The opposition Congress will boycott the entire session in protest against the post poll violence, Burman added, before the entire Opposition walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees