Congress to boycott entire session of Tripura Assembly
Agartala: The opposition Congress on Friday announced boycott of the entire session of the Tripura Assembly, alleging post-poll violence in the state.
After Governor DY Patil`s address, Speaker Ramendra Chandra Debnath adjourned the proceedings for fifteen minutes.
When the House reassembled, Opposition Congress member Sudip Roy Burman said that after the announcement of the election results on February 28, ruling party cadres had let loose a reign of terror by killing opposition Congress activists and supporters, setting ablaze their houses, molesting and even raping women in different parts of the state.
When the Speaker requested Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, also the Home Minister of the state, to give a statement, he said that during the period from February 14 to 28, some leaders` statements had instigated such incidents.
"I do not disagree that there was no such incident after the announcement of the results and I again appeal to all sections of the people to maintain peace and tranquillity and expect cooperation from all sides", Sarkar said.
"I have asked appropriate authorities to take proper legal actions against the perpetrators and I would like to warn that law would take its own course irrespective of political affiliations," Sarkar said.
The Chief Minister said, he has directed the District Magistrates to enquire into the complaints and proper compensation will be given in case of property damage.
However, Burman alleged that the administration remained a silent spectator and further said that despite remaining Chief Minister of the state for the past 16 years, Sarkar remained partisan.
The opposition Congress will boycott the entire session in protest against the post poll violence, Burman added, before the entire Opposition walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Israel destroys 11 Palestinian homes on outskirts of Jerusalem
- Congress would form govt in UP after 27 years: Sheila Dikshit
- Here's how a 110-year-old lobster Larry rescued from becoming a meal!- See pics
- US, North Korea trade barbs over nuclear weapon tests
- Palestinians seek to sue Britain over 1917 vow to Jews