Congress to boycott entire session of Tripura Assembly
Agartala: The opposition Congress on Friday announced boycott of the entire session of the Tripura Assembly, alleging post-poll violence in the state.
After Governor DY Patil`s address, Speaker Ramendra Chandra Debnath adjourned the proceedings for fifteen minutes.
When the House reassembled, Opposition Congress member Sudip Roy Burman said that after the announcement of the election results on February 28, ruling party cadres had let loose a reign of terror by killing opposition Congress activists and supporters, setting ablaze their houses, molesting and even raping women in different parts of the state.
When the Speaker requested Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, also the Home Minister of the state, to give a statement, he said that during the period from February 14 to 28, some leaders` statements had instigated such incidents.
"I do not disagree that there was no such incident after the announcement of the results and I again appeal to all sections of the people to maintain peace and tranquillity and expect cooperation from all sides", Sarkar said.
"I have asked appropriate authorities to take proper legal actions against the perpetrators and I would like to warn that law would take its own course irrespective of political affiliations," Sarkar said.
The Chief Minister said, he has directed the District Magistrates to enquire into the complaints and proper compensation will be given in case of property damage.
However, Burman alleged that the administration remained a silent spectator and further said that despite remaining Chief Minister of the state for the past 16 years, Sarkar remained partisan.
The opposition Congress will boycott the entire session in protest against the post poll violence, Burman added, before the entire Opposition walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared