Curfew relaxed in Meghalaya
Shillong: Curfew was relaxed for eight hours in Meghalaya`s West Garo Hills district Sunday, two days after it was imposed following mob violence after an alleged bid to molest a mentally challenged girl, an official said.
The girl was allegedly harassed by five migrant labourers, sparking Friday`s mob violence in Tura, which left one person dead, police said.
The curfew was relaxed Sunday for eight hours, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. "The night was peaceful and there were no reports of any untoward incidents in the curfew-bound areas," Pravin Bakshi, deputy commissioner of West Garo Hills district, told.
The authorities also warned "mischief makers" that they would be booked under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order and Meghalaya Preventive Detention Act if found instigating communal tension.
Bakshi said the district authorities will monitor the law and order situation during the curfew relaxation and further ease the curbs accordingly.
On Saturday, the Meghalaya government ordered a magisterial inquiry into the violence in the district headquarters. A migrant labourer from Assam`s Dhubri district was killed and three vehicles were set ablaze in the incident.
The mentally challenged girl was allegedly molested by five labourers. Three of them were caught by the mob, while two managed to flee.
Mohammad Raju Alam, Nehar Ali and Babul Sheikh were beaten up by the mob before police arrived and arrested them. The three have been admitted to Gauhati Medical College and Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested