Exchange of fire between security forces, militants in Manipur
Imphal: Heavy exchange of fire on Tuesday took place between militants and security personnel escorting two Manipur ministers from interior Senapati district but there was no report of any casualty, officials said.
Manipur Works minister Kh Ratankumar and Irrigation and Flood Control minister Ngamthang Haokip were proceeding towards Senapati district headquarters when suspected ultras fired at their security party at Gopibung area, about 40 km from here on Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati national highway, they said.
The security personnel escorting the two ministers returned fire and the exchange of fire between the two sides lasted for some minutes during which the militants escaped through thick hilly jungles, the officials said.
It was not immediately known if there was any casualty on the side of the militants, they said, adding that the two ministers later proceeded towards Senapati district.
In another incident last night, suspected militants exploded a powerful bomb at the private residence of Imphal Urban Cooperative Bank president Thokchom Dilip at Shingjamei area near here, officials said.
A portion of the gate and its surrounding areas were partly damaged in the explosion, they said.
Locals condemned the attack and launched a sit-in protest against the incident today at Shingjamei area, officials said, adding that no individual or group has claimed responsibility for the crime so far.
Police said they would investigate whether the attack was connected with monetary demand from Dilip by a militant outfit. Dilip was not immediately available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit