Himachal judge Deepak Gupta elevated as Tripura Chief Justice
Shimla: Justice Deepak Gupta of the Himachal Pradesh High Court has been elevated as the first Chief Justice of the newly established Tripura High Court, a statement said here Monday.
He is the first judge from the state to have been directly appointed chief justice of another state, the high court statement said.
During his stint as the judge of the High Court, Justice Gupta delivered many judgments, most of them on environment and ecology while heading the green bench.
In a landmark judgment, the bench headed by him last year imposed a penalty of Rs.100 crore on Jaiprakash Associates Ltd for violation of environmental laws for setting up a cement plant in Solan district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk