Himachal judge Deepak Gupta elevated as Tripura Chief Justice
Shimla: Justice Deepak Gupta of the Himachal Pradesh High Court has been elevated as the first Chief Justice of the newly established Tripura High Court, a statement said here Monday.
He is the first judge from the state to have been directly appointed chief justice of another state, the high court statement said.
During his stint as the judge of the High Court, Justice Gupta delivered many judgments, most of them on environment and ecology while heading the green bench.
In a landmark judgment, the bench headed by him last year imposed a penalty of Rs.100 crore on Jaiprakash Associates Ltd for violation of environmental laws for setting up a cement plant in Solan district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- In a country wary of migrants, Pope tells Poles to welcome refugees
- Want soft and smooth heels? Try these five easy home remedies!
- Former football stars Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs unveil Manchester building plan
- Syria's powerful Nusra Front says ending link to al Qaeda
- Amitabh Bachchan for higher public spending to prevent Hepatitis B