Indefinite blockade on two national highways in Manipur
Imphal: An indefinite blockade on two important national highways in land-locked Manipur has been launched by a hill-based students union demanding release of a girl student from the custody of an insurgent outfit.
The blockade on the Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati national highways, considered lifelines of the state, was launched from midnight last night by the Zeliangrong Students Union, demanding release of 16-year-old student, Alice Kamei, official sources said.
There was no traffic on the two national highways, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled, the sources said.
The ZSU said the blockade would continue till the student was released.
Earlier, the RPF had said the student had joined the outfit on her own and anybody above 16 years was welcome to join it.
Official sources said the government was considering to run vehicles with security and a decision would be taken soon.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Punjab woman 'gangraped first, killed, and then thrown from roof'
- IPL 2016: Mumbai Indians sign Jerome Taylor as injured Lasith Malinga's replacement
- AugustaWestland chopper deal: It's political conspiracy to cover up criminal negligence in pursuing CBI inquiry, says AK Antony
- Tiger Shroff regrets making housewife comment?
- Britain would be less well off after Brexit: OECD