Indefinite blockade on two national highways in Manipur
Imphal: An indefinite blockade on two important national highways in land-locked Manipur has been launched by a hill-based students union demanding release of a girl student from the custody of an insurgent outfit.
The blockade on the Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati national highways, considered lifelines of the state, was launched from midnight last night by the Zeliangrong Students Union, demanding release of 16-year-old student, Alice Kamei, official sources said.
There was no traffic on the two national highways, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled, the sources said.
The ZSU said the blockade would continue till the student was released.
Earlier, the RPF had said the student had joined the outfit on her own and anybody above 16 years was welcome to join it.
Official sources said the government was considering to run vehicles with security and a decision would be taken soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!