Indefinite blockade on two national highways in Manipur
Imphal: An indefinite blockade on two important national highways in land-locked Manipur has been launched by a hill-based students union demanding release of a girl student from the custody of an insurgent outfit.
The blockade on the Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati national highways, considered lifelines of the state, was launched from midnight last night by the Zeliangrong Students Union, demanding release of 16-year-old student, Alice Kamei, official sources said.
There was no traffic on the two national highways, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled, the sources said.
The ZSU said the blockade would continue till the student was released.
Earlier, the RPF had said the student had joined the outfit on her own and anybody above 16 years was welcome to join it.
Official sources said the government was considering to run vehicles with security and a decision would be taken soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index
- SC restrains Tamil Nadu Police from arresting expelled AIADMK MP