Indefinite blockade on two national highways in Manipur
Imphal: An indefinite blockade on two important national highways in land-locked Manipur has been launched by a hill-based students union demanding release of a girl student from the custody of an insurgent outfit.
The blockade on the Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati national highways, considered lifelines of the state, was launched from midnight last night by the Zeliangrong Students Union, demanding release of 16-year-old student, Alice Kamei, official sources said.
There was no traffic on the two national highways, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled, the sources said.
The ZSU said the blockade would continue till the student was released.
Earlier, the RPF had said the student had joined the outfit on her own and anybody above 16 years was welcome to join it.
Official sources said the government was considering to run vehicles with security and a decision would be taken soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump