Indefinite blockade on two national highways in Manipur
Imphal: An indefinite blockade on two important national highways in land-locked Manipur has been launched by a hill-based students union demanding release of a girl student from the custody of an insurgent outfit.
The blockade on the Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar and Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati national highways, considered lifelines of the state, was launched from midnight last night by the Zeliangrong Students Union, demanding release of 16-year-old student, Alice Kamei, official sources said.
There was no traffic on the two national highways, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled, the sources said.
The ZSU said the blockade would continue till the student was released.
Earlier, the RPF had said the student had joined the outfit on her own and anybody above 16 years was welcome to join it.
Official sources said the government was considering to run vehicles with security and a decision would be taken soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka