Landslide triggered by heavy rains in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: A monsoon-like situation, with heavy showers triggering landslides, has been prevailing in Dibang Valley district, which is prone to natural calamities like flood.
Due to intermittent downpour in the district for the last several days, Anini-Roing road -- the thoroughfare linking the district - has suffered massive blockade at numerous points bringing surface communication along the route to a grinding halt.
The affected areas are Erone, Endulin, Ranli, Hunli and Deopani, official sources said on Sunday.
Deputy Commissioner Tamune Miso, who, along with a team of officials, was on an inspection of various ongoing projects at Etalin, Anelih and Arzoo circles, was stranded at Etalin yesterday due to snapping of road from both ends following the landslides, the sources said.
The DC met the BRO officials at wayside camp offices and sought cooperation from the road construction agency for clearing the road blockades.
The DC suggested deploying more workforce and machinery at the identified vulnerable points to ensure uninterrupted surface communication, especially during the ensuing Panchayat election.
Immediate and adequate measures should also be initiated to ascertain that every bridge along the Anini-Roing road remains protected, the DC said.
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was carrying out road restoration work on a war-footing by engaging its available resources but progress was slowed down by persistent downpours.
The BRO assured the DC of complete restoration of road within a day or two if the weather improved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27