Landslide triggered by heavy rains in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: A monsoon-like situation, with heavy showers triggering landslides, has been prevailing in Dibang Valley district, which is prone to natural calamities like flood.
Due to intermittent downpour in the district for the last several days, Anini-Roing road -- the thoroughfare linking the district - has suffered massive blockade at numerous points bringing surface communication along the route to a grinding halt.
The affected areas are Erone, Endulin, Ranli, Hunli and Deopani, official sources said on Sunday.
Deputy Commissioner Tamune Miso, who, along with a team of officials, was on an inspection of various ongoing projects at Etalin, Anelih and Arzoo circles, was stranded at Etalin yesterday due to snapping of road from both ends following the landslides, the sources said.
The DC met the BRO officials at wayside camp offices and sought cooperation from the road construction agency for clearing the road blockades.
The DC suggested deploying more workforce and machinery at the identified vulnerable points to ensure uninterrupted surface communication, especially during the ensuing Panchayat election.
Immediate and adequate measures should also be initiated to ascertain that every bridge along the Anini-Roing road remains protected, the DC said.
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was carrying out road restoration work on a war-footing by engaging its available resources but progress was slowed down by persistent downpours.
The BRO assured the DC of complete restoration of road within a day or two if the weather improved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Shocking! Father hires contract killers to get his son killed in Rajkot
- CBI files four new chargesheets in Vyapam scam
- NCP, Congress to skip PM Narendra Modi's Smart City event in Pune, Shiv Sena undecided
- US stocks drop further; Dow, S&P 500 down 3%
- Expedite efforts for release of kidnapped Indian: PM Modi to Afghan President Ghani