Manipur bomb explosions: One jawan killed, 17 injured
Imphal: A Manipur Rifles jawan was killed and 17 others, including a superintending engineer and nine security personnel, were injured in separate explosions in Chandel and Imphal West districts of Manipur on Sunday, officials said.
They said suspected insurgents ambushed an official team, including the superintending engineer and Manipur Rifles personnel of 8th Battalion escorting them by exploding two bombs and opening fire at a place between Khudengtabi and Kwatha Lamkhai, about 110 km south-east of here, at around 7.45 am.
A jawan, identified as Sushil Singh, was killed on the spot and ten persons - six Manipur Rifles personnel and four civilians including the engineer - were injured by bomb splinters, sources said, adding the team was returning to Imphal from the border town of Moreh after inspecting the condition of some roads in the area.
Official reports from Chandel district said the injured civilians included an assistant engineer and two drivers.
All the injured were taken to a hospital in Imphal, they said, adding the condition of some of them was stated to be serious.
Four hours later, suspected insurgents also exploded a powerful bomb attached to a vehicle at the roadside at Sekmai area in Imphal West district injuring three CRPF personnel and four civilians, sources said, adding that condition of the injured was not stated to be serious.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility though the spots where the explosions took place were the operating zone of insurgents of different groups.
Police said security and police forces rushed to both the spots after the explosions were reported and launched massive search operations by blocking all exit points. The insurgents, who reportedly exploded the bombs by using remote control device, escaped into the nearby thick jungles and hilly areas.
Official sources said all security and police posts have been put on alert and instructed to check movement of insurgents under their jurisdiction.
An official report from Sekmai police station in Imphal West district said the bomb attached to a vehicle at the roadside exploded when a CRPF party was passing through the area, about 20 km north of Imphal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Syrian migrant killed by own bomb at German bar
- CBI court to pronounce its order on Rajendra Kumar's bail plea today
- Sanctions disrupt aid agencies in North Korea
- SHOCKING! It's hundreds of angry locals vs a sub-inspector - When public thrashed cop over death of youth - WATCH
- Former ‘Bigg Boss’ contestant Mandana Karimi engaged; wedding bells to ring soon