Meghalaya High Court to start soon: Governor
Shillong: Meghalaya is all set to have a dedicated High Court functioned very soon apart from establishing special and fast track courts to ensure effective delivery of justice to victims of rape cases, Governor R S Mooshahary said Thursday.
"A separate Meghalaya High Court will be functioning very soon," Mooshahary said while addressing the ninth Assembly on the first day of the budget session here.
He said a special court at Nongstoin (in West Khasi Hills district) set up for trial of rape cases has yielded results and six persons have been convicted.
Rape cases in the five districts in the Garo Hills region including the infamous Williamnagar gang rape last year have been transferred to a fast track court at Tura, he said.
According to the Governor, the government is also contemplating entrusting rape cases to the fast track courts at Shillong and Jowai respectively to ensure effective delivery of justice.
On the separation of judiciary from the executive, Mooshahary said East Khasi Hills district has been affected while the process of separation in other districts would be done in a phased-manner as soon as judicial officers are available after mandatory training.
The state`s first woman home minister Roshan Warjri who was given charge of the all important portfolio said issues pertaining to women is one of the most important issues in her priority list.
"It would be our efforts to establish fast track courts in all district headquarters for fast and effective delivery of justice to victims of such crimes," Warjri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh