Meghalaya High Court to start soon: Governor
Shillong: Meghalaya is all set to have a dedicated High Court functioned very soon apart from establishing special and fast track courts to ensure effective delivery of justice to victims of rape cases, Governor R S Mooshahary said Thursday.
"A separate Meghalaya High Court will be functioning very soon," Mooshahary said while addressing the ninth Assembly on the first day of the budget session here.
He said a special court at Nongstoin (in West Khasi Hills district) set up for trial of rape cases has yielded results and six persons have been convicted.
Rape cases in the five districts in the Garo Hills region including the infamous Williamnagar gang rape last year have been transferred to a fast track court at Tura, he said.
According to the Governor, the government is also contemplating entrusting rape cases to the fast track courts at Shillong and Jowai respectively to ensure effective delivery of justice.
On the separation of judiciary from the executive, Mooshahary said East Khasi Hills district has been affected while the process of separation in other districts would be done in a phased-manner as soon as judicial officers are available after mandatory training.
The state`s first woman home minister Roshan Warjri who was given charge of the all important portfolio said issues pertaining to women is one of the most important issues in her priority list.
"It would be our efforts to establish fast track courts in all district headquarters for fast and effective delivery of justice to victims of such crimes," Warjri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced