Militant leader, daughter shot dead in Manipur
Imphal: Self-styled `home secretary` of militant outfit Kuki Liberation Army (KLA) and his two-year-old daughter were allegedly shot dead by unidentified gunmen in interior Senapati district of Manipur while his driver sustained injuries, police said on Sunday.
Three well-armed militants stopped Seikhohao Khongsaid alias Marvin`s vehicle at Pukhao Ahallup Chingya under Saikul sub-division, about 35 kms north east of here, when he along with family members was returning from Churachandpur district to his house at Saikul area on Saturday, police said.
The militants dragged Marvin to the corner of a hill and shot him dead from point blank range, they said, adding that his daughter Zoukim Kuki, who received fatal wounds, succumbed to injuries at a hospital.
A five-year-old boy, Haominglung and the driver Aleng Khongsaid (24) were also injured when the militants fired at the vehicle, police said, adding that Marvin`s wife, Mansonel (27) however, escaped unhurt.
KLA is engaged in the process of holding peace talks with the government and its cadres were sometimes allowed free movement, they said, adding that a rival faction appeared to be behind the incident.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the crime.
More than six militant outfits are engaged in the process of holding peace talks with the government. KLA, an armed wing of Kuki National Organisation is one of them, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise