Militant leader released to join peace talks in Manipur
Imphal: Self-styled commander in chief of militant outfit Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Council (KCP-MC), Nongdrenkhomba faction, Ningthoujam Romen (30) has been released from Manipur`s Sajiwa jail to enable him join peace talks with central and state governments.
Official sources said some senior members of the militant faction held initial meetings for holding formal peace talks and Romen, who is the leader of this group, who was released yesterday, would be joining the peace talks soon.
Romen, who was taken to a camp of 46th Assam Rifles battalion in interior Churachandpur district, was arrested by a team of Delhi police on October 31 last year from an inter-state bus terminal, sources said, adding that on request of Manipur police, he was sent to Manipur and kept at Sajiwa jail on the outskirts of Imphal after re-arrest by Manipur police.
The militant leader who hails from interior Bishenpur district, was allegedly involved in murder, abduction of people and extortion of money from the general public, sources said adding that all cases against him have been dropped to enable him participate in peace talks.
Sources said already more than six militant outfits including Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup-Military Defence Force, United People`s Party of Kangleipak, some factions of KCP-MC and some Kuki outfits have laid down arms for holding peace talks with the Centre and state governments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning