Molestation case of Manipuri actress: Gadkari writes to PM
New Delhi: In the wake of molestation of a Manipuri actress and subsequent protests, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that the Centre intervene immediately and direct the state government to take appropriate steps to control the violence.
"BJP strongly feels that strong and immediate action is required on the part of the state government to restore faith of the people in rule of law and justice delivery mechanism," he said in his letter to Singh.
A Manipur actress was molested by a NSCN-IM activist on December 18 at a fund-raising programme in Chandel. This led to widespread violence and protests. Two people, including a camera person of a news channel, were shot dead by police during the demonstrations in Imphal.
"Considering the sensitivity of the matter and the emotive nature of the issues involved, we demand immediate intervention of the government of India with directions to the Manipur state government to take appropriate steps to save the situation from going out of hand," Gadkari said.
He maintained that this was the only way to control the situation and restore the confidence of the people of Manipur in the government.
"Needless to add, these actions are urgently required in our supreme national interest," he said.
Gadkari lamented that the molestation had taken place in the presence of Manipur Police and Assam Rifles personnel. He alleged that they remained mute spectators.
"The delay in bringing the culprits to book may further aggravate the situation and shall lead to an environment of suspicion," he said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi