Neiphiu Rio stakes claim to form government in Nag
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister and Leader of the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Neiphiu Rio on Saturday met Governor Nikhil Kumar and staked claim to form the government.
Rio, who led the Naga Peoples Front back to victory for a third consecutive time, submitted a letter to the Governor stating that he has been elected as the leader of the Naga Peoples Front Legislature Party (NPFLP) and of Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Legislature Party yesterday, official sources said.
The NPF has 38 MLAs in the 60-member assembly with an effective strength of 59. The BJP and the JD(U), who are also part of the DAN, have one MLA each in the new 12th Nagaland assembly.
Rio also informed the Governor that seven Independent MLAs have given letters of unconditional support to the DAN government.
Rio also wrote to the Governor recommending dissolution of the existing House and submitted the resignation of his council of ministers.
In the last assembly, the NPF had 26 MLAs and DAN had the support of 35 legislators.
The Congress which had 18 MLAs last time could win only eight seats this time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'