Neiphiu Rio stakes claim to form government in Nag
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister and Leader of the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Neiphiu Rio on Saturday met Governor Nikhil Kumar and staked claim to form the government.
Rio, who led the Naga Peoples Front back to victory for a third consecutive time, submitted a letter to the Governor stating that he has been elected as the leader of the Naga Peoples Front Legislature Party (NPFLP) and of Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Legislature Party yesterday, official sources said.
The NPF has 38 MLAs in the 60-member assembly with an effective strength of 59. The BJP and the JD(U), who are also part of the DAN, have one MLA each in the new 12th Nagaland assembly.
Rio also informed the Governor that seven Independent MLAs have given letters of unconditional support to the DAN government.
Rio also wrote to the Governor recommending dissolution of the existing House and submitted the resignation of his council of ministers.
In the last assembly, the NPF had 26 MLAs and DAN had the support of 35 legislators.
The Congress which had 18 MLAs last time could win only eight seats this time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured