Neiphiu Rio stakes claim to form government in Nag
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister and Leader of the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Neiphiu Rio on Saturday met Governor Nikhil Kumar and staked claim to form the government.
Rio, who led the Naga Peoples Front back to victory for a third consecutive time, submitted a letter to the Governor stating that he has been elected as the leader of the Naga Peoples Front Legislature Party (NPFLP) and of Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Legislature Party yesterday, official sources said.
The NPF has 38 MLAs in the 60-member assembly with an effective strength of 59. The BJP and the JD(U), who are also part of the DAN, have one MLA each in the new 12th Nagaland assembly.
Rio also informed the Governor that seven Independent MLAs have given letters of unconditional support to the DAN government.
Rio also wrote to the Governor recommending dissolution of the existing House and submitted the resignation of his council of ministers.
In the last assembly, the NPF had 26 MLAs and DAN had the support of 35 legislators.
The Congress which had 18 MLAs last time could win only eight seats this time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert