Neiphiu Rio stakes claim to form government in Nag
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister and Leader of the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Neiphiu Rio on Saturday met Governor Nikhil Kumar and staked claim to form the government.
Rio, who led the Naga Peoples Front back to victory for a third consecutive time, submitted a letter to the Governor stating that he has been elected as the leader of the Naga Peoples Front Legislature Party (NPFLP) and of Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) Legislature Party yesterday, official sources said.
The NPF has 38 MLAs in the 60-member assembly with an effective strength of 59. The BJP and the JD(U), who are also part of the DAN, have one MLA each in the new 12th Nagaland assembly.
Rio also informed the Governor that seven Independent MLAs have given letters of unconditional support to the DAN government.
Rio also wrote to the Governor recommending dissolution of the existing House and submitted the resignation of his council of ministers.
In the last assembly, the NPF had 26 MLAs and DAN had the support of 35 legislators.
The Congress which had 18 MLAs last time could win only eight seats this time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror