NPCC demands removal of Nagaland minister
Kohima: The Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee (NPCC) on Wednesday demanded sacking of Minister for Health and Family Welfare Imkong L Imchen of Nagaland People`s front as he had been charge sheeted for his alleged criminal conduct in the last assembly elections.
"Congress strongly demands the removal of Imkong L Imchen from the Council of Ministers since he has already been charge sheeted by Wokha police for his criminal conduct during the recently concluded state assembly elections," NPCC chief SI Jamir told reporters here.
Imchen’s continuance in the cabinet has become untenable until he is proved innocent in the court of law, he said after submitting representations to Governor Ashwani Kumar and Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio here.
If the minister is not removed within the next fortnight,Opposition NPCC will launch agitation and boycott the 50th anniversary celebration of statehood, he said.
Police had filed the charge sheet against Imchen in the district court on November 4 nearly nine months after his arrest on February 18 with cash Rs 1.10 crore, arms,ammunition and liquor at Wokha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Day after being sacked as AAP's Punjab convener, Sucha Singh Chhotepur calls for CBI probe
- Coal scam: Ex-Coal Secy says, don't want advocate whose fee I cannot pay; will face trial from jail
- Japan PM pledges to invest $ 30 billion in Africa by 2018
- Kedar Jadhav, Shreyas Iyer power India A to easy six-wicket win
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit