PM calls off northeast visit after Afzal hanging
Agartala: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh cancelled his visit to Tripura and Nagaland following Afzal Guru`s hanging Saturday, a Congress leader said.
"The prime minister has cancelled his trip due to urgent administrative work in Delhi in connection with the execution," state Congress chief Sudip Roy Barman said.
The prime minister was to visit Tripura Saturday to campaign for the Feb 14 elections. He was to address a public meeting at Ambassa in northern Tripura, 110 km north of Agartala.
Nagaland Congress president S.I. Jamir told reporters in Kohima that the prime minister`s visit to the state to campaign for the Feb 23 elections had been deferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof