PM calls off northeast visit after Afzal hanging
Agartala: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh cancelled his visit to Tripura and Nagaland following Afzal Guru`s hanging Saturday, a Congress leader said.
"The prime minister has cancelled his trip due to urgent administrative work in Delhi in connection with the execution," state Congress chief Sudip Roy Barman said.
The prime minister was to visit Tripura Saturday to campaign for the Feb 14 elections. He was to address a public meeting at Ambassa in northern Tripura, 110 km north of Agartala.
Nagaland Congress president S.I. Jamir told reporters in Kohima that the prime minister`s visit to the state to campaign for the Feb 23 elections had been deferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!