PM calls off northeast visit after Afzal hanging
Agartala: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh cancelled his visit to Tripura and Nagaland following Afzal Guru`s hanging Saturday, a Congress leader said.
"The prime minister has cancelled his trip due to urgent administrative work in Delhi in connection with the execution," state Congress chief Sudip Roy Barman said.
The prime minister was to visit Tripura Saturday to campaign for the Feb 14 elections. He was to address a public meeting at Ambassa in northern Tripura, 110 km north of Agartala.
Nagaland Congress president S.I. Jamir told reporters in Kohima that the prime minister`s visit to the state to campaign for the Feb 23 elections had been deferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference