PM calls off northeast visit after Afzal hanging
Agartala: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh cancelled his visit to Tripura and Nagaland following Afzal Guru`s hanging Saturday, a Congress leader said.
"The prime minister has cancelled his trip due to urgent administrative work in Delhi in connection with the execution," state Congress chief Sudip Roy Barman said.
The prime minister was to visit Tripura Saturday to campaign for the Feb 14 elections. He was to address a public meeting at Ambassa in northern Tripura, 110 km north of Agartala.
Nagaland Congress president S.I. Jamir told reporters in Kohima that the prime minister`s visit to the state to campaign for the Feb 23 elections had been deferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH