PM calls off northeast visit after Afzal hanging
Agartala: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh cancelled his visit to Tripura and Nagaland following Afzal Guru`s hanging Saturday, a Congress leader said.
"The prime minister has cancelled his trip due to urgent administrative work in Delhi in connection with the execution," state Congress chief Sudip Roy Barman said.
The prime minister was to visit Tripura Saturday to campaign for the Feb 14 elections. He was to address a public meeting at Ambassa in northern Tripura, 110 km north of Agartala.
Nagaland Congress president S.I. Jamir told reporters in Kohima that the prime minister`s visit to the state to campaign for the Feb 23 elections had been deferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- PM Narendra Modi condemns Munich attack
- When Aditya Chopra told Ranveer Singh to act like himself
- Shah Rukh Khan terms himself struggling writer, pens poem inspired from Zayn Malik
- 'Quantico' diva Priyanka Chopra misses mommy during shoots!- See pic
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey