President visits World War-II cemetery
Kohima: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday visited the historic World War-II cemetery here on Tuesday and paid his tribute to the war victims after laying a wreath.
The cemetry is for Indian and British soldiers who laid down their lives in the battle against Japanese troops.
Earlier, landing at the Kohima Assam Rifles helipad in an IAF chopper, the President and his entourage were received by Nagaland Governor Ashwani Kumar and Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, among others.
He was given a Guard of Honour by the 4th Nagaland Armed Police Battalion.
He will be having closed-door meetings with the Governor, Chief Minister, Council of Ministers, Opposition Congress MLAs, civil societies and tribal organisations at the Raj Bhavan where he would stay for the night.
Tomorrow, the President would be attending the convocation programme of Nagaland University at Lumami in Zunheboto district and would fly back to Delhi from Mokokchung.
He is also scheduled to address the NU convocation and also hand over certificates to the successful candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls