Sikkim CM calls for laying a new national highway
Gangtok: Chief Minister Pawan Chamling on Thursday requested the Centre to sanction a new national highway from West Bengal to Sikkim to improve the hill state`s road network.
Speaking at the National Development Council (NDC) meeting at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, Chamling called for building a 120-km long new national highway from Sevoke in West Bengal to state capital Gangtok to bolster transport network and trigger balanced regional development of the state, official sources said here.
Chamling said since Sikkim is solely dependent on NH 31A and its state highways, another highway was needed to interlink growth centres, meet social needs of the people and boost up tourism and economic activities.
Chamling demanded the widening of existing national highway and construction of two lanes from the upcoming greenfield airport at Pakyong to Gangtok.
He said that with tourism and hospitality sectors emerging as fastest growing industry in the state, Sikkim needed to sustain that momentum.
"Our state aims to attract 50 lakh tourist annually by the year 2017 through well-executed tourism strategy, better planning, aggressive publicity and strengthening of tourism infrastructure in the state," he said.
Chamling requested the Centre to release the remaining fund of Rs 720 crore from Prime Minister`s package of Rs 1000 crore sanctioned as one time relief package for reconstruction and rehabilitation for earth quake victims.
He said the state has so far received Rs 280 crore and urged to release the rest at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks