Surrendered activists demand implementation of rehab measures
Itanagar: Surrendered underground activists in Arunachal Pradesh have urged the state government to immediately implement various rehabilitation measures provided under the surrender and rehabilitation policy of the Centre.
The surrendered cadre of various outfits under the aegis of Surrendered Underground Welfare Association Arunachal Pradesh (SUWAAP) has alleged that the state government was yet to implement the rehabilitation package for the surrendered ultras as per the provisions laid down by the Centre.
There are over 500 surrendered rebels in the state representing various outfits like NSCN (IM), NSCN (K), NDFB, ULFA, United Peoples` Democratic Front (UPDF), Arunachal Naga Liberation Front (ANLF) and Arunachal Peoples` Liberation Front (APLF).
“Since last several years many of our cadre have surrendered but the state government did nothing for us despite several assurances made. We have been deprived of the facilities in the surrender and rehabilitation policy of the Centre announced during 1998,” lamented Kento Ori, the general secretary of SUWAAP.
He said several surrendered cadre who were engaged by the Army were killed by cadre of the outfits to which they formerly belonged.
“As per the provisions of the policy, the government was supposed to pay us against all deposited weapons including bullets,” Ori said.
Besides, he said, there was also a provision that the government would deposit 1.5 lakh each in banks against all such cadre which would be paid at later stage to them for their self employment. Ironically none of the surrendered cadres received that amount, he alleged.
The association in a memorandum to Chief Minister Nabam Tuki has called for giving preference to the surrendered militants in the recruitment of defence and paramilitary personnel, subject to qualifying basic criteria, in state police, IRBN, Industrial Security Force within the state and in banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das