Suspected militant killed in encounter in Manipur
Imphal: A suspected militant was killed in an encounter with a combined force of police commandos and 30th Assam Rifles personnel in Imphal West district, police sources said on Saturday.
The forces, after receiving reports that some militants were roaming at Lambal area to disrupt the upcoming January 28 assembly poll process, rushed to the spot late last night and found four persons moving in a suspicious manner.
Soon, the group of men fired upon the security men, sources said adding in the ensuing encounter one was killed while the rest escaped.
A 9mm pistol, one grenade and five rounds of ammunition were recovered from the spot.
The body of the victim, identified as Th Bungbung, 37, was sent to Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital here for post mortem.
Police sources said Bungbung was once a jawan of India Reserve Battalion (IRB) but was discharged from the service after alleged links with a militant outfit.
He was also arrested and released from jail about a year ago, sources said.
Family members of the victim, however, claimed that Bungbung was picked up from the house by security men at around 2 am yesterday and killed later on.
They said he was working in a vehicle workshop where he washed cars and other vehicles to look after his family.
Local womenfolk launched a sit-in protest today against the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof