T Meena Kumari sworn in as first chief justice of Meghalaya HC
Shillong: Justice T Meena Kumari was on Saturday sworn in as the first Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court by Governor Ranjit Shekhar Mooshahary.
The Governor administered the oath of office and secrecy to Kumari at a ceremony held in the Raj Bhavan.
Kumari was earlier a judge of the Patna High Court.
Talking to reporters after her swearing-in ceremony, Justice Kumari said that her first priority area would be to see that fast-track courts are being set up in the state.
"The fast tract courts have to be established and I will take up this matter," she said.
Refusing to divulge more details on the priorities to be taken up, the newly sworn-in chief justice, however, said, "I have to first settle down and understand the problems of the region besides the pending cases."
Later, the Chief Justice also administered oath of office to two new judges of the High Court - T M K Singh and S R Sen at the Shillong High Court.
The newly established Meghalaya High Court will be formally inaugurated on March 25 by the Chief Justice of India (CJI), Justice Altamas Kabir.
Apart from Meghalaya, Manipur and Tripura have also been given their own full-fledged high courts.
While, the strength of judges in the two high courts will be three each including the chief justice, Tripura High Court, however, will have four judges including the chief justice.
Notably, with the approval of these three full-fledged high courts in the North East, the total number of high courts in the country will increase from 21 to 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you