Tripura govt to hand over NBFI cases to CBI
Agartala: The Tripura government has decided to hand over the inquiry into complaints against non-banking financial institutions (NBFI) to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
"The government has received 15 complaints from different depositors against NBFIs cheating people and the council of ministers yesterday decided to hand over the cases to the CBI," Chief Minister Manik Sarkar told reporters.
Similar cases would also be handed over to the national investigation agency if complaints were filed with the police, he said.
The state had introduced an Act in 2000 to control the NBFIs which was amended in 2011 to give more teeth to the Act, Sarkar said.
Criticising the Central government for not enacting a uniform law in the country, the Chief Minister said, the state could not take strict actions against such companies. "We had alerted the Central government several times and suggested for a uniform Act in the country, but the Centre did not pay any heed to our pleas," he said.
When 27 NBFIs had fled the state, he said, 90 others had been collecting funds with the promise of high rate of interests violating the norms of the Reserve Bank of India.
Out of the 90 NBFIs, 68 are registered under the Company`s Act, 1953, seven with the Insurance Regulatory Authority, seven with RBI, one with SEBI and 10 others are registered as micro-financing companies, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister