Women commission initiates inquiry into witchcraft case in AP
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh State Commission for Women (APSCW) has initiated inquiry into the alleged torture of Boisu Megu, a lady from Anpum village in Lower Dibang Valley district of the state, suspecting her of practising witchcraft.
Megu was recently tortured by the villagers for allegedly practising witchcraft.
The commission has also sought the status report on the case from the concerned authority and called for protection to be provided to the victim, a press release informed here today.
APSCW chairperson Gumri Ringu also expressed solidarity with the demand of the National Commission for Women for amendment of the IPC and CrPC to make rape an offence punishable to death.
While condemning the recent rape cases in Doimukh and Tawang, Ringu pointed out that the alleged accused has been enlarged on bail as the forensic report has not been received and the investigation officer could not file the chargesheet.
She demanded that the state forensic laboratory should be put in place with the expert so that the investigation could be completed within the timeframe.
The APSCW has meanwhile reiterated its demand that adequate security personnel be deployed in the capital complex to ensure security for women.
Expressing solidarity with the Delhi gang rape victim, Ringu said the incident has once again raised the safety and security concerns of girl child in the country.
"The APSCW has been pressing upon the government to set up a fast track court to deal with such rape cases so that the trial of such heinous crimes could be completed within the time frame," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre