Women voters outnumber men in Nagaland
Kohima: Polling percentage of female voters in Nagaland surpassed their male counterparts in the February 23 Assembly elections.
In the elections for 59 Assembly segments in the state, which registered a total polling percentage of 90.51%, the polling percentage of male voters was 89.82 per cent, while it was 91.22 per cent for females.
Of the total 11,71,335 electorates, there were 5,81,782 male voters and the rest females to decide the fate of 185 candidates in 59 seats.
Of the 185 candidates in the 59 seats, only two women had contested the elections in Nagaland despite women comprising around 49 per cent of the electorate.
The two women candidates were Rakhila Lakiumong who contested on BJP ticket from Tuensang Sadar-II constituency and Dr Yangerla, a medical practitioner, who contested as an Independent from Mokokchung Town seat in Mokokchung district.
In the last Assembly election held in 2008, four women had contested the poll but none tasted success.
The first Assembly election in Nagaland was held in 1964 and till the last Assembly election in 2008, no woman had won any seat.
The polling percentage in Saturday`s election to the 59 seats of Nagaland has gone up to 90.51%.
The official final figure will be available only after all polling materials reach district headquarters after the completion of the re-polls being held in nine polling booths spread over seven districts and eight assembly segments.
Among the district wise poll percentage Longleng stands on top with 95.59%, followed by Wokha at 94.30% and Kiphire 93.89%. Dimapur stands at lowest with 85.19% turnout.
Polling at Tuensang Sadar-I A/C was countermanded following the demise of sitting MLA and Congress candidate P Chuba Chang on February 22 and will be held on March 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city