Naveen moots new front, dubs UPA as "discredited"
Bhubaneswar: Dubbing the ruling UPA as
"discredited" and "corruption ridden" and NDA as "communally
tainted", Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday mooted
an alternative front to provide a transparent government at
"I certainly feel there is a need for a new front
which will be transparent, corruption free and of course
secular," Patnaik told reporters here replying to a question
on his move to unite non-Congress Chief Ministers over the
proposed powers to the National Counter Terrorism Centre under
the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Patnaik had earlier on Saturday written a letter to
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asking him to review the MHA
order to empower the NCTC. He also wrote letters and spoke to
the Chief Ministers of West Bengal and Tamil Nadu requesting
them to oppose the Centre`s move.
The Congress led UPA government had been "discredited"
and "corruption ridden", Patnaik said, adding, "I find UPA
often falling into habit of bypassing democratic rights of
Terming the UPA government`s move to empower the NCTC
as "suspicious" and "peculiar", Patnaik alleged that the
Centre has issued a "draconian" order to empower the NCTC
under the MHA by completely bypassing the states and their
"That is why I spoke to the Chief Ministers of West
Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Chandrababu Naidu, former chief
minister of Andhra Pradesh. I told all of them regarding the
Centre`s bid to infringe on the federal rights of the states,"
The BJP led NDA in which Patnaik`s ruling BJD was a
partner for a long time, also earned criticism from the chief
minister. "NDA is communally tainted," Patnaik said.
Patnaik`s statement against the NDA was significant as
the Chief Minister for the first time publicly termed it as
"communally tainted." The ruling BJD in Odisha had severed all
electoral ties with the BJP prior to the general elections in
Patnaik`s statement on NDA had also ended speculation over
the possible revival of electoral ties between the the BJP and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Hilarious! Salman Khan was in tears for a moment while filming ‘Sultan’ – Know why
- Money laundering: Chhagan, Sameer Bhujbal's judicial custody extended till June 7
- Posting babies' photos on Facebook put moms at depression risk
- Donald Trump is a joke for America: Chloe Grace Moretz
- Charleston church shooting case: US seeks death penalty for shooter Dylann Roof