Naveen moots new front, dubs UPA as "discredited"
Bhubaneswar: Dubbing the ruling UPA as
"discredited" and "corruption ridden" and NDA as "communally
tainted", Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday mooted
an alternative front to provide a transparent government at
"I certainly feel there is a need for a new front
which will be transparent, corruption free and of course
secular," Patnaik told reporters here replying to a question
on his move to unite non-Congress Chief Ministers over the
proposed powers to the National Counter Terrorism Centre under
the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Patnaik had earlier on Saturday written a letter to
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asking him to review the MHA
order to empower the NCTC. He also wrote letters and spoke to
the Chief Ministers of West Bengal and Tamil Nadu requesting
them to oppose the Centre`s move.
The Congress led UPA government had been "discredited"
and "corruption ridden", Patnaik said, adding, "I find UPA
often falling into habit of bypassing democratic rights of
Terming the UPA government`s move to empower the NCTC
as "suspicious" and "peculiar", Patnaik alleged that the
Centre has issued a "draconian" order to empower the NCTC
under the MHA by completely bypassing the states and their
"That is why I spoke to the Chief Ministers of West
Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Chandrababu Naidu, former chief
minister of Andhra Pradesh. I told all of them regarding the
Centre`s bid to infringe on the federal rights of the states,"
The BJP led NDA in which Patnaik`s ruling BJD was a
partner for a long time, also earned criticism from the chief
minister. "NDA is communally tainted," Patnaik said.
Patnaik`s statement against the NDA was significant as
the Chief Minister for the first time publicly termed it as
"communally tainted." The ruling BJD in Odisha had severed all
electoral ties with the BJP prior to the general elections in
Patnaik`s statement on NDA had also ended speculation over
the possible revival of electoral ties between the the BJP and
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed