Odisha lashed by heavy rain
Bhubaneswar: Monsoon showers lashed down on Odisha, with one town, district headquarters of Koraput, recording 163 millimetre rain in the past 24 hours, an official said Thursday.
Normal life was hit in the headquarters town of Koraput, about 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar. A senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre said that rains in Koraput were "heavy" to "very heavy".
Bhabanipatna town in Kalahandi district too recorded 134 millimetre rainfall during the period, he said.
The monsoon is active in Odisha, and many parts of the state witnessed widespread, heavy rain.
The weatherman said a low pressure belt over the Bay of Bengal would trigger widespread rain across the state, with some parts receiving heavy to very heavy rain over the next two days.
Fishermen have been warned not to venture into the sea as strong and gusty surface wind speeds, reaching 40-50 km per hour (kmph) are likely to prevail along and off the state`s coast, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi