Odisha lashed by heavy rain
Bhubaneswar: Monsoon showers lashed down on Odisha, with one town, district headquarters of Koraput, recording 163 millimetre rain in the past 24 hours, an official said Thursday.
Normal life was hit in the headquarters town of Koraput, about 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar. A senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre said that rains in Koraput were "heavy" to "very heavy".
Bhabanipatna town in Kalahandi district too recorded 134 millimetre rainfall during the period, he said.
The monsoon is active in Odisha, and many parts of the state witnessed widespread, heavy rain.
The weatherman said a low pressure belt over the Bay of Bengal would trigger widespread rain across the state, with some parts receiving heavy to very heavy rain over the next two days.
Fishermen have been warned not to venture into the sea as strong and gusty surface wind speeds, reaching 40-50 km per hour (kmph) are likely to prevail along and off the state`s coast, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested