Odisha lashed by heavy rain
Bhubaneswar: Monsoon showers lashed down on Odisha, with one town, district headquarters of Koraput, recording 163 millimetre rain in the past 24 hours, an official said Thursday.
Normal life was hit in the headquarters town of Koraput, about 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar. A senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre said that rains in Koraput were "heavy" to "very heavy".
Bhabanipatna town in Kalahandi district too recorded 134 millimetre rainfall during the period, he said.
The monsoon is active in Odisha, and many parts of the state witnessed widespread, heavy rain.
The weatherman said a low pressure belt over the Bay of Bengal would trigger widespread rain across the state, with some parts receiving heavy to very heavy rain over the next two days.
Fishermen have been warned not to venture into the sea as strong and gusty surface wind speeds, reaching 40-50 km per hour (kmph) are likely to prevail along and off the state`s coast, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security