"Very concerned" over Pipili rape incident: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Under attack from different
quarters over the alleged rape and attempt to murder of a
dalit girl at Pipili, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday said he was "very concerned" about the incident.
Patnaik`s statement in this regard came a day after the
National Commission for Women (NCW) blamed the state`s police
for "failing" to lodge a timely FIR in the alleged incident.
"We are very much concerned about the victim," Patnaik
told reporters adding that four suspected persons had so far
been arrested and a judicial inquiry has been ordered into the
Claiming that the girl was being provided with the best of
treatment available in the state, Patnaik said the state
government had been in touch with the specialists at AIIMS,
Delhi for the better medical care of the 19-year-old
girl presently struggling for survival at the ICU of SCB
Medical College Hospital in Cuttack.
While the girl was allegedly raped and an attempt to
kill her had been made on November 28, 2011, the police
registered a case on January 9, 2012 on direction of the
State Human Rights Commission.
The girl who had sustained injury on her neck due to a
strangulation bid, was not provided required treatment at
three different government hospitals till Orissa High Court
intervened in the matter.
The NCW, in its statement yesterday stressed that
medical evidence should be collected without any delay
followed with immediate disciplinary action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says