"Very concerned" over Pipili rape incident: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Under attack from different
quarters over the alleged rape and attempt to murder of a
dalit girl at Pipili, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday said he was "very concerned" about the incident.
Patnaik`s statement in this regard came a day after the
National Commission for Women (NCW) blamed the state`s police
for "failing" to lodge a timely FIR in the alleged incident.
"We are very much concerned about the victim," Patnaik
told reporters adding that four suspected persons had so far
been arrested and a judicial inquiry has been ordered into the
Claiming that the girl was being provided with the best of
treatment available in the state, Patnaik said the state
government had been in touch with the specialists at AIIMS,
Delhi for the better medical care of the 19-year-old
girl presently struggling for survival at the ICU of SCB
Medical College Hospital in Cuttack.
While the girl was allegedly raped and an attempt to
kill her had been made on November 28, 2011, the police
registered a case on January 9, 2012 on direction of the
State Human Rights Commission.
The girl who had sustained injury on her neck due to a
strangulation bid, was not provided required treatment at
three different government hospitals till Orissa High Court
intervened in the matter.
The NCW, in its statement yesterday stressed that
medical evidence should be collected without any delay
followed with immediate disciplinary action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read