"Very concerned" over Pipili rape incident: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Under attack from different
quarters over the alleged rape and attempt to murder of a
dalit girl at Pipili, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday said he was "very concerned" about the incident.
Patnaik`s statement in this regard came a day after the
National Commission for Women (NCW) blamed the state`s police
for "failing" to lodge a timely FIR in the alleged incident.
"We are very much concerned about the victim," Patnaik
told reporters adding that four suspected persons had so far
been arrested and a judicial inquiry has been ordered into the
Claiming that the girl was being provided with the best of
treatment available in the state, Patnaik said the state
government had been in touch with the specialists at AIIMS,
Delhi for the better medical care of the 19-year-old
girl presently struggling for survival at the ICU of SCB
Medical College Hospital in Cuttack.
While the girl was allegedly raped and an attempt to
kill her had been made on November 28, 2011, the police
registered a case on January 9, 2012 on direction of the
State Human Rights Commission.
The girl who had sustained injury on her neck due to a
strangulation bid, was not provided required treatment at
three different government hospitals till Orissa High Court
intervened in the matter.
The NCW, in its statement yesterday stressed that
medical evidence should be collected without any delay
followed with immediate disciplinary action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened