"Very concerned" over Pipili rape incident: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Under attack from different
quarters over the alleged rape and attempt to murder of a
dalit girl at Pipili, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday said he was "very concerned" about the incident.
Patnaik`s statement in this regard came a day after the
National Commission for Women (NCW) blamed the state`s police
for "failing" to lodge a timely FIR in the alleged incident.
"We are very much concerned about the victim," Patnaik
told reporters adding that four suspected persons had so far
been arrested and a judicial inquiry has been ordered into the
Claiming that the girl was being provided with the best of
treatment available in the state, Patnaik said the state
government had been in touch with the specialists at AIIMS,
Delhi for the better medical care of the 19-year-old
girl presently struggling for survival at the ICU of SCB
Medical College Hospital in Cuttack.
While the girl was allegedly raped and an attempt to
kill her had been made on November 28, 2011, the police
registered a case on January 9, 2012 on direction of the
State Human Rights Commission.
The girl who had sustained injury on her neck due to a
strangulation bid, was not provided required treatment at
three different government hospitals till Orissa High Court
intervened in the matter.
The NCW, in its statement yesterday stressed that
medical evidence should be collected without any delay
followed with immediate disciplinary action.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler