Bills may earn prizes for consumers in Punjab
Chandigarh: In an effort to plug revenue leakage, the Punjab government has mooted a proposal to award consumers insisting on bill after buying any commodity from a retail store.
A senior official of the Excise and Taxation Department said the prize, which is to encourage billing, would be in the gift form and a special fund may be allocated for the same.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said, "this move, besides encouraging (tax) compliance, will educate the consumers regarding their rights and duties".
A draw of lots should be drawn every month on the bills submitted by retail consumers to the Department and prizes would be declared district-wise and also state-wise, he said in a release issued here.
The Punjab government faces huge amount of revenue leakage every year because of non-issuance of bill by unscrupulous shopkeepers as they indulge in suppressing their sales to avoid tax payment.
Badal, who holds a portfolio of Excise and Taxation Department, today held a meeting with senior officials of the department.
He lauded the department for raising the revenue of state from Rs 5,000 crore to 15,000 crore within a span of five years.
Insisting on zero tolerance to corruption, Badal said that he has already give an order for strengthening and equipping internal vigilance and enforcement wings of the department.
He also gave a nod to recruit 136 Excise and Taxation Officers within next three months, besides filling up all vacant posts of assessing authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way