Fog hits normal life in Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: A thick blanket of fog in most parts of Punjab and Haryana today again disrupted normal life adversely affecting air, rail and road traffic.
However, the minimum temperature in the two states and their common capital Chandigarh hovered above normal, the MeT said.
According to a MeT official here, Chandigarh and most places in Punjab and Haryana remained engulfed under heavy fog this morning affecting visibility.
Flights from Chandigarh airport were either re-scheduled or cancelled for the second day today while some trains criss-crossing the region were running hours behind schedule, sources said.
Director of the Chandigarh`s MeT Department, Surender Paul said the fog was likely to decrease over the next couple of days.
"The fog built up during the last couple of days has been due to fall in temperature coupled with moisture inflow because of approaching Western Disturbance over the region. Visibility levels will improve as fog would decrease after couple of days," he said.
Meanwhile, Chandigarh recorded a low of 10.4 degrees Celsius, three notches above normal.
In Punjab, Amritsar registered a low of 9.3 deg C, up four notches while Ludhiana`s minimum settled at 10.7 deg C, four above normal. Patiala, too, recorded an above normal low of 10.4 deg C.
Karnal and Hisar in Haryana recorded two notches above normal minimums each at 10.2 deg C and 9.5 deg C.
The minimum at Ambala settled at 10.4 deg C, up three degrees.
However, Narnaul had a cold night at 5.5 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement