Life insurance firm ordered to pay 15K compensation in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: A private insurance firm has been directed by a consumer forum to pay compensation of Rs 15,000 to a complainant for harassment along with litigation costs of Rs 4,000.
The District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum (Mohali) in a decision yesterday held ICICI Prudential Life Insurance responsible for deficiency in service and failure to fulfill its obligation to its Amrik Singh Gill.
The forum also ordered the firm to pay Mohali-based Gill interest of Rs 912 at a rate of 9 per cent on Rs 50,000 for 74 days and refund the charges of Rs 68.88 which were deducted by the company as stamp duty.
The forum found that there were inconsistencies in the assurances made by an employee of the firm while selling an insurance policy, in January, 2012, and the policy document itself.
It also penalised the firm for delay in delivery of the policy document and observed that the details pertaining to the particulars of the complainant in the proposal form of the policy had been erroneously filled ? hinting at manipulation by the agent of the company.
The forum also found no justification in deduction of stamp duty charges by the company, saying that the proposal form, which was the basis of the policy, had never been submitted by the complainant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress