Life insurance firm ordered to pay 15K compensation in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: A private insurance firm has been directed by a consumer forum to pay compensation of Rs 15,000 to a complainant for harassment along with litigation costs of Rs 4,000.
The District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum (Mohali) in a decision yesterday held ICICI Prudential Life Insurance responsible for deficiency in service and failure to fulfill its obligation to its Amrik Singh Gill.
The forum also ordered the firm to pay Mohali-based Gill interest of Rs 912 at a rate of 9 per cent on Rs 50,000 for 74 days and refund the charges of Rs 68.88 which were deducted by the company as stamp duty.
The forum found that there were inconsistencies in the assurances made by an employee of the firm while selling an insurance policy, in January, 2012, and the policy document itself.
It also penalised the firm for delay in delivery of the policy document and observed that the details pertaining to the particulars of the complainant in the proposal form of the policy had been erroneously filled ? hinting at manipulation by the agent of the company.
The forum also found no justification in deduction of stamp duty charges by the company, saying that the proposal form, which was the basis of the policy, had never been submitted by the complainant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt