Pre-monsoon showers lash Punjab & Haryana
Chandigarh: Pre-monsoon showers lashed vast swathes of Punjab and Haryana, including Chandigarh, giving respite to the people from sultry weather and bringing cheers to the paddy growers in the two agrarian states.
Union Territory Chandigarh, common capital of the two states, was lashed by heavy showers since morning, causing a sharp fall in mercury.
The showers are likely to ease power situation in Chandigarh and other parts of the region, where power cuts had added to the woes of the people braving hot weather earlier.
"Pre-monsoon" showers lashed almost entire Punjab including Ludhiana, Bathinda, Jalandhar, Pathankot, Amritsar, Hoshiarpur, Mohali and Ropar, causing a fall in maximum temperatures, Director of the Chandigarh`s MeT Department Surinder Paul said.
In Haryana, rains lashed Ambala, Panchkula, Yamunanagar, Panipat, Rohtak, Karnal and other places.
He said that southwest monsoon can be expected to hit the two states and Chandigarh over a week in advance.
While the normal date of arrival of monsoon in the region is between June 29 to July 5, this year it is expected to arrive around June 20, Paul said.
Agriculturists say that rain is highly beneficial for paddy growers.
Continued rain will also help replenish depleting underground water table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda