Punjab CM Badal for more autonomy to states
Patiala: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Wednesday called upon the Centre to give more autonomy to the states for strengthening federal structure of the country.
"Tendency of the Centre to usurp the powers and authority given to states by the Constitution is detrimental to the interests of the states," Badal said, addressing a gathering after unfurling the flag at YPS Stadium here on the occasion of Independence Day.
Badal also thanked the people for voting the SAD-BJP alliance to power for second consecutive term.
Calling for introspection to find out as to how far the dreams of the martyrs who fought for freedom has got fulfilled, Badal said the country still has a "long way to go" to overcome issues like poverty, unemployment, illiteracy and inequality still persist in the society.
He said providing a quality life to the people through basic amenities like safe drinking water, electricity and sewage system would be the real tribute to the martyrs on this solemn day, which, he said, would be possible only through more power to states.
The Chief Minister asked the Centre to give a "serious thought" for setting up of a "genuinely" federal structure in the country, as the present trend towards the unitary system was "against the basic spirit of democracy."
Badal also lauded the contribution of the Punjabi community, constituting only two per cent of country`s population, in India`s freedom struggle and development.
Recalling sacrifices made by the freedom fighters from Punjab, Badal said the Punjabi community, though only two per cent of country`s population, contributed immensely in India`s freedom struggle.
Counting on the achievements of his government, Badal said Punjab now ranked third from the earlier 14th position in India on Education Development Index as per report of National University Educational Planning and Administration.
He informed that Punjab government will set up `Jang-e-Azaadi Yadgar` at Kartarpur in Jalandhar district to honour to those who fought for country`s freedom.
Badal also inspected a parade on the occasion and conferred State Level Awards to 34 persons for their contribution in various fields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'