Scuffle between lawyers, police at Punjab & Haryana HC
Chandigarh: A scuffle took place between a senior advocate and a policeman outside an entry gate of Punjab and Haryana High Court here on Tuesday following which some lawyers allegedly thrashed the law enforcement personnel.
The situation turned tense when advocate Rupinder Khosla, a former president of the Bar Association of Punjab and Haryana High Court and who has been Additional Advocate General of Punjab, allegedly got into an argument with the policeman over entry into the court complex, officials said.
A new procedure, which came into force yesterday, requires a magnetic card, which automatically opens the gate for advocates` cars to pass through in the morning hours. This was extended to the afternoon hours as well today.
Association sources said Khosla was not carrying the magnetic card due to which he was asked by the policeman to stop.
He showed his bar council card, but the cop refused him entry following which a brawl broke out between the two and some other lawyers also thrashed the policeman, they said.
The injured policeman has been taken for medical examination to a government hospital.
Security has been tightened at the court complex to prevent any other untoward incident.
The advocates have met Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court to raise the issue and police are investigating the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video