Situation in Punjab’s Faridkot jail `under control`
Faridkot: A day after violence erupted over the death of an undertrial in district jail here, Faridkot Jail Superintendent JP Singh on Tuesday said the situation is completely under control now.
Seven personnel of the district jail were injured, two of them seriously, when an unruly group of prisoners yesterday resorted to pelting stones and bricks protesting the death of an undertrial under suspicious circumstances yesterday.
Sessions and District Judge Archan Puri visited the jail for conducting a judicial probe into the incident as Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had yesterday ordered a magisterial enquiry, Singh said.
He said the jail canteen suffered heavy loss as it was set ablaze by violent inmates.
Harsha Singh (65), who was facing trial under the NDPS Act and had been transferred from Muktsar jail to Faridkot jail a few days ago, died last morning, triggering the violent protests by jail inmates.
Three undertrials lodged in the jail here have died due to various reasons during the past one week.
The exact cause of Harsha`s death would be established after receiving post mortem report, JP Singh said.
A case has been registered against six jail inmates who started the trouble.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...