Tewari asks Punjab govt to go beyond holding meets for NRIs
Ludhiana: Criticising the Punjab government for organising the NRI Sammelan, which began on Friday, Union Minister Manish Tewari asked it to look into "real" problems faced by the community, like harassment and victimisation, which remain unresolved.
"The Punjab government should go beyond the ritualistic sammelans for the Non-Resident Indians as their problems remain as unresolved as a few years ago since this ritual was started," Tewari said in a statement here.
He said the real problems of the non-resident Indian community persisted as they faced "harassment, victimisation and persecution".
The Congress leader said he had received several complaints from NRIs and their relatives in Punjab that they were feeling victimised due to the "callous, indifferent and sometimes hostile attitude" of the local authorities.
He said NRIs come with great expectations to participate in these meets, but very soon their euphoria fizzles out as they are confronted with the same harsh realities they have been facing for years. "Nothing has actually changed for them," he said.
Tewari, who represents Ludhiana in Lok Sabha, asked the state government to formulate a policy for NRIs, saying they can play an important role in the socio-economic progress of Punjab.
"I have come across so many NRIs who have genuine intentions to contribute towards the state`s development but unfortunately they get no cooperation at all from the state government here," he said, asking the government not to fool unsuspecting NRIs with "false promises and false commitments".
The two-day NRI Sammelan began here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened