Tight security in Punjab, Haryana ahead of I-Day
Chandigarh: Security has been tightened across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh ahead of Independence Day celebrations.
Security has been beefed up at the venues where the dignitaries will unfurl the Tricolour and at important railway stations including Chandigarh, Panipat, Ambala, Ludhiana and Jalandhar, besides key inter-state bus terminals and other vital installations, officials said today.
Police have asked operators of guest houses, cyber cafes, telephone booths and taxi services to keep a watch on their customers and report any suspicious persons.
Police and other security personnel have intensified checking of vehicles in the two states and Chandigarh, where several `nakas` have been set up.
Barricading and checking have also been intensified at the inter-state borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon