Raj house clears resolution to create legislative council
Jaipur: Rajasthan Assembly today passed a resolution to create a legislative council in the state in order to provide "extensive" representation to the people.
Parliamentary affairs minister Shanti Dhariwal moved a resolution for the same in the Assembly, which was passed by a majority of votes.
"The House is of the view that to provide extensive representation to the people in the state legislature and to establish healthy and strong democratic tradition, it is necessary to create a legislative council in the state," Dhariwal said in the House.
"Therefore, in pursuance of clause (1) of Article 169 of the Constitution of India, the House resolves that a law may be passed by the Parliament to create a legislative council in the state of Rajasthan," he said.
Opposition BJP, too, supported the resolution. However, CPI-M MLAs Amra Ram, Pema Ram and Pawan Duggal and Independent MLA Golma Devi opposed it.
Out of the 156 members present in the House today, which has a total strength of 200, 152 voted in favour of the resolution and four against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened