Agri scientist Rajeev Varshney conferred award
Hyderabad: A scientist of the city-based International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) has been given a prestigious award for his outstanding work in the area of legume genomics.
The Indian National Science Academy (INSA) has conferred its elected fellowship on Dr Rajeev Varshney, Research Programme Director (Grain Legumes) and Director, Centre of Excellence in Genomics, at ICRISAT.
The award was presented at the INSA`s 69th anniversary meet in Lucknow recently, an ICRISAT statement said today.
Varshney`s aim is to see the science of genomics being used to develop superior varieties of legumes like chickpea, pigeonpea and groundnut, it said.
At ICRISAT, Varshney has led the genome sequencing of pigeonpea and chickpea and developed large-scale genomic tools. He is currently working on the deployment of molecular breeding to develop superior varieties with enhanced resistance to abiotic and biotic stresses that will have higher yield, the statement said.
He has published four research papers in `Nature` journal in just two years, he said. Varshney received two prestigious awards in 2013 ? The Greater Good Initiative Award from Illumina Inc and Young Crop Scientist Award conferred by?the Crop Science Society of America.
INSA was established in 1935 with the objective of promoting science in India and harnessing knowledge for the cause of humanity and national welfare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees