Agri scientist Rajeev Varshney conferred award
Hyderabad: A scientist of the city-based International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) has been given a prestigious award for his outstanding work in the area of legume genomics.
The Indian National Science Academy (INSA) has conferred its elected fellowship on Dr Rajeev Varshney, Research Programme Director (Grain Legumes) and Director, Centre of Excellence in Genomics, at ICRISAT.
The award was presented at the INSA`s 69th anniversary meet in Lucknow recently, an ICRISAT statement said today.
Varshney`s aim is to see the science of genomics being used to develop superior varieties of legumes like chickpea, pigeonpea and groundnut, it said.
At ICRISAT, Varshney has led the genome sequencing of pigeonpea and chickpea and developed large-scale genomic tools. He is currently working on the deployment of molecular breeding to develop superior varieties with enhanced resistance to abiotic and biotic stresses that will have higher yield, the statement said.
He has published four research papers in `Nature` journal in just two years, he said. Varshney received two prestigious awards in 2013 ? The Greater Good Initiative Award from Illumina Inc and Young Crop Scientist Award conferred by?the Crop Science Society of America.
INSA was established in 1935 with the objective of promoting science in India and harnessing knowledge for the cause of humanity and national welfare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!