Daredevil Felix Baumgartner fell faster than thought
London: Supersonic skydiver Felix Baumgartner fell faster during his historic skydive last October than originally believed - 1.25 times the speed of sound, it has emerged.
The final analysis has shown that the Austrian daredevil attained a speed of 1,357.6 km per hour as he leapt from his stratospheric balloon, about 15 km per hour more than what was initially reported.
"Fearless Felix" Baumgartner`s stated aim was to become the first person to break the sound barrier unaided by a vehicle, which he succeeded in doing, touching a final Mach number of 1.25, `BBC News` reported.
However, although his vertical velocity has been revised upwards, the 43-year-old`s jump altitude has been corrected downwards slightly.
Additional analysis shows the Baumgartner stepped out of his special capsule at 38,969.4 metre, a reduction from the previous estimate of 39,045 metre.
Baumgartner`s "space jump" was made over the New Mexico desert, US, on 14 October, the report said.
Millions across the world followed his progress on internet video feeds as he climbed slowly into the sky in his 55-storey-high helium balloon, before making a rapid, 10-minute descent to Earth, with just under five of those minutes spent in free-fall.
The biggest moment of drama came when the Austrian went into a spin as he hurtled towards the ground, turning at a maximum rate of 60 revolutions per minute.
Baumgartner had to use all the skills picked up in more than 2,500 career skydives to recover a stable configuration and complete the dive safely.
His feats bettered the marks set 50 years previously by Joe Kittinger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000