Daredevil Felix Baumgartner fell faster than thought
London: Supersonic skydiver Felix Baumgartner fell faster during his historic skydive last October than originally believed - 1.25 times the speed of sound, it has emerged.
The final analysis has shown that the Austrian daredevil attained a speed of 1,357.6 km per hour as he leapt from his stratospheric balloon, about 15 km per hour more than what was initially reported.
"Fearless Felix" Baumgartner`s stated aim was to become the first person to break the sound barrier unaided by a vehicle, which he succeeded in doing, touching a final Mach number of 1.25, `BBC News` reported.
However, although his vertical velocity has been revised upwards, the 43-year-old`s jump altitude has been corrected downwards slightly.
Additional analysis shows the Baumgartner stepped out of his special capsule at 38,969.4 metre, a reduction from the previous estimate of 39,045 metre.
Baumgartner`s "space jump" was made over the New Mexico desert, US, on 14 October, the report said.
Millions across the world followed his progress on internet video feeds as he climbed slowly into the sky in his 55-storey-high helium balloon, before making a rapid, 10-minute descent to Earth, with just under five of those minutes spent in free-fall.
The biggest moment of drama came when the Austrian went into a spin as he hurtled towards the ground, turning at a maximum rate of 60 revolutions per minute.
Baumgartner had to use all the skills picked up in more than 2,500 career skydives to recover a stable configuration and complete the dive safely.
His feats bettered the marks set 50 years previously by Joe Kittinger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened