God Particle hunt: China to build new collider 60 times faster than the present one
Zee Media Bureau
Beijing: In an effort that is seen as a move to overtake the Western world in science and technology research, Chinese scientists plan to build a faster electron-positron collider that is 60 times faster than the existing one to speed up the exploration of the Higgs boson.
According to the scientists, attending a symposium held by Institute of High Energy Physics of Chinese Academy of Sciences, the machine is aimed at accurately measuring the nature of the Higgs boson and explore the regularity of fundamental physics.
"Only by learning the nature of the Higgs particle can we possibly understand the future focus of particle physics," said Wang Yifang, head of the institute.
The planned collider is capable of producing 60 times more energy than the current collider, which is in operation in Beijing, Wang said.
"In the long run, it can be revamped into a large proton collider, which would generate seven times more energy than the Large Hadron Collider in operation in the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) based in Geneva," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted Wang as saying.
David Gross, American physicist and a Nobel Prize winner, said China`s proposal to build the next-generation accelerator will enable it to stand at the centre of fundamental sciences.
The hunt for the Higgs boson has been a focus of particle physics research for decades.
Higgs boson or `God particle` is a subatomic particle that explains the existence of mass and
is considered to be a fundamental building block of the universe.
Higgs boson is named after the British British theoretical physicist and Nobel Prize laureate Peter Higgs and Satyendra Nath Bose. On July 4, 2012, CERN announced that they had experimentally established the existence of a Higgs-like boson, while further work is required to analyse its properties. On 14 March 2013, the newly discovered particle was tentatively confirmed to be + parity and zero spin, two fundamental criteria of a Higgs boson, making it the first known fundamental scalar particle to be discovered in nature.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- No more at risk! Three rare Channel island fox subspecies removed from endangered list
- Christie's exhibition to highlight works of Raza, Gaitonde
- READ: How Telangana Deputy CM was trolled for his remark on PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Ranveer Singh keeps mum on 'Padmavati
- PM Modi, Finance Minister not on same page on Kashmir: Congress