Human urine a goldmine for fuel-cell materials
London: Human urine may one day be used to generate power for vehicles and homes, according to a new study which found that pee could be the future of carbon fuel-cell technology.
Scientists from Korea University in Seoul, South Korea, have demonstrated that carbon, a precious fuel cell material, can be extracted from dried urine and that it is a powerful conductor of electricity.
Fuel cells - devices which harvest energy from a chemical reaction - often use platinum as a catalyst, making them expensive to produce.
Researchers found that doped collections of carbon atoms recovered from human urine have the right kind of properties to replace expensive catalysts in fuel cell applications, `theregister.Co.Uk` reported.
In the study, scientists collected urine samples from healthy individuals and heated them to evaporate the water, leaving behind a dried, yellowish deposit.
Next, they super-heated various test samples of dried urine in a range between 700 and 1,000 degrees Celsius for six hours to carbonise the urine.
The heating process caused salts and other elements to gasify and leave behind carbon, according to `Discover Magazine (blog)`.
Urine is loaded with other elements besides carbon, which makes the leftover carbon highly porous - ideal for fuel cell catalysts.
The urine carbon was an excellent conductor of electricity, especially the batch that was heated to 1,000 degrees. Researchers said this is the first time carbon was extracted from urine using this simple method.
The research was published in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi