Peter Higgs says Nobel Prize fame bit of a nuisance
New Delhi: Nobel Prize winning scientist Professor Peter Higgs has described his new found fame that came with his pioneering work on the God particle as "a bit of a nuisance".
The 84-year-old physicist, Higgs, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics last year for his discovery of the so-called God particle decades earlier.
In an interview with BBC Radio 4`s The Life Scientific, Higgs disclosed how his work has influenced his personal life, including the breakdown of his marriage in the 1970s.
Higgs said his new found fame was "a bit of a nuisance sometimes, frankly", with fans asking him for autographs.
He also explained how he struggled alone with his theories in the 1960s.
"Nobody else took what I was doing seriously, so nobody would want to work with me. I was thought to be a bit eccentric and maybe cranky," said Higgs.
Higgs came into the limelight after the elusive fundamental particle was found by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
The Higgs boson, nicknamed the "God Particle", provides mass to the most basic building blocks of matter.
The Standard Model theory that combines all the fundamental forces and particles of the universe would have fallen down without the existence of the particle, the report said.
In 1964, Higgs predicted the presence of the particle while working at Edinburgh University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day