Researcher shows how Android phone can hijack plane
London: It is possible to hack an entire plane using an Android smartphone, it has emerged.
Security researcher Hugo Teso was able to `hijack` the systems to feed false navigation information to a simulated jet that made it change course.
According to the BBC, Teso built his simulator using spare parts from real jets for sale on the eBay auction site.
The loopholes in the flight management system were detailed by Teso during a presentation to the Hack In The Box conference in Amsterdam.
Teso, who is also a qualified commercial pilot, said he had spent the past four years investigating the many different computer and data systems found on aircraft, which help them fly and navigate safely.
Teso set out to find a way to subvert the flight management systems (FMS) found on many different aircraft, and planned to feed them fake or booby-trapped data via well-known radio communication systems.
Old aviation equipment was bought via eBay to help Mr Teso interrogate the code these systems ran, the report said.
This hardware was used to build a simulated aircraft that ran many of the systems found on commercial aircraft and could swap data via radio with the air traffic and navigation systems used in the real world, it added.
Aviation agencies in Europe and the US said actual flight computers are not compromised by his work, but want to find out more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof